November 5, 2021

Who can qualify for a fiancé visa?

Entering the United States is a daunting process, especially when a Michigan resident is trying to bring his or her fiancé into the country. There is a specific type of visa for this purpose, a K-1 visa, and one must meet certain requirements to qualify for it. Before moving forward with the application process or making important plans regarding an international move, it can be helpful to understand the specific requirements in order to qualify for this visa.

The definition of a fiancé

United States immigration laws allow for residents to bring a foreign citizen into the country to get married. One of the main requirements is that both the U.S. citizen and the foreign fiancé must be free to marry at the time they apply for the visa. Other requirements and helpful facts about the K-1 visa include:

  • The marriage must be legally possible in the state in where the couple plans to marry.
  • The fiancés much have met in person at least once within the last two years, but there may be exceptions to this rule.
  • The U.S. citizen fiancé will turn in the application to the appropriate immigration office.

After marriage, the newly married foreign citizen can apply for permanent resident status.

Help at every step

The immigration process is challenging, no matter the specific type of visa one is seeking. It may be helpful to speak with a Michigan immigration law attorney in order to understand the specific legal options available. This guidance can reduce the chance of setbacks and complications at every step of the process.