Obtaining a U.S. Passport if Born Abroad

Obtaining a U.S. Passport if Born Abroad

You were born in Canada or another foreign country and at least one of your parents is a U.S. citizen. Now you want to take a cruise, and a driver’s license doesn’t work anymore. You need a passport.

But you don’t have or don’t know how to get a passport because you don’t have documentation, (a United States birth certificate) showing that you are actually a U.S. citizen. How can you prove your citizenship in order to obtain a U.S. passport?

Fortunately, many U.S. citizens in this situation can obtain a U.S. passport with the help of an experienced Michigan immigration lawyer. Stacer, PLC, is an immigration law firm that helps U.S. citizens document their citizenship and obtain U.S. passports.

We have experience obtaining documentation that satisfies the federal government on behalf of people who were born abroad, and we work diligently to achieve our clients’ goals as quickly as possible.

Contact our firm for a consultation about our services. Call 734-453-7878 or 888-814-5758 (international, toll-free) to schedule your appointment.

What Is A Consular Report Of Birth Abroad?

The best way to ensure that a child born abroad has the documentation needed to prove U.S. citizenship is to file a Consular Report of Birth Abroad at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

According to the State Department, A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a document issued to prove that a child born outside the United States is a U.S. citizen. The name of the parent(s) through whom the child claims U.S. citizenship must be listed on the CRBA.

CRBAs can be filed online if your closest U.S. Embassy or consulate is accepting applications. Otherwise, parents of citizens born abroad will need to apply in person using form DS-2029. The application must be signed in front of a consular officer, notary public, or other person qualified to administer oaths.

For U.S. citizens born abroad who are over 18 however, this is not an option. If you fall into the latter category, Stacer, PLC, can help you collect the documentation needed to get a U.S. passport for an affordable and reasonable fee.

How We Can Help US Citizens Born Abroad

In past years, many pregnant residents of the Detroit, or other U.S./Canadian metropolitan area, went to Canada to give birth. This saved them a great deal of money in medical bills at the time, but leads to complications down the line for these children who were born abroad, because now they have a Canadian birth certificate.

This situation also happens for people that were born abroad, and the birth was not registered with a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad at the time of the birth.

If you find yourself in this situation, our firm can help you collect the necessary information. This includes your Canadian or other foreign birth certificate, evidence attesting to the U.S. citizenship of at least one parent, evidence of your parents’ marriage (if applicable) and an affidavit from a parent or other person with first-hand knowledge of your situation.

“At Stacer, PLC, we understand the importance of your passport matter. My firm will work hard to achieve results in your case as quickly as possible.” –
Attorney Andrew Stacer

Contact Our Immigration Lawyer Today

Contact us online for help obtaining a U.S. passport if you were born abroad. Located in Plymouth, we represent clients throughout Michigan, the United States and world wide.