Adjusting Status With A Criminal Record

Can You Adjust Your Status If You Have A Criminal Record?

If you are an immigrant who has had any type of encounter with law enforcement or have had any documented instances of using or possessing drugs, you may run into problems if you choose to apply for a green card or otherwise seek a change to your immigration status. This is true if you have never been convicted of a crime, or even if you have never been placed under arrest. It is important to have a skilled lawyer on your side who can help with adjustment of status and who can address any concerns that may arise.

At the law firm of , our attorneys have been handling criminal defense and immigration law matters for more than 20 years. We can help guide you through the status adjustment process and let you know what your options are if there are concerns about your past.

Do You Have A History Of Criminal Activity?

When you seek an adjustment of immigration status, you will be subjected to a lengthy background check, including questions of whether you have ever engaged in any type of criminal activity both in and outside of the United States. You can rest assured that if there is any past record of criminal behavior, it will be uncovered, so you should always be truthful when answering these types of questions.

A criminal history does not necessarily mean that you cannot adjust your immigration status. There are a number of factors that determine whether a criminal past can be overcome, including the nature of the crime, the number of times you have been arrested and the potential penalties associated with the relevant crime. Our attorneys can let you know what your options are for seeking waivers of inadmissibility.

Contact Us To Schedule A Consultation

If you are concerned that your past will impact your adjustment of status, we can help. To schedule an initial consultation, call our law office in Plymouth at . You may also contact us online. We provide representation to people throughout the Detroit metro area, Ann Arbor and across Michigan.