April 14, 2021

What is needed to bring a fiancé or fiancée to the United States?

It isn’t always easy to find the one person on this planet with whom one wishes to share a lifetime. Not everyone is lucky in love. When that person is found, the last thing anyone wants to deal with is immigration issues. Unfortunately, every year numerous Michigan residents find themselves having to figure out the immigration system so they may bring their fiancé(e)s into the country to begin their lives together.

Fiancé(e) visa

Anyone who wishes to bring his or her future spouse into the United States from a foreign country will have to apply for the proper visa. The K-1 nonimmigrant visa is what is needed, but it will only be granted if the couple plans to marry within 90 days of the immigrant entering the country, and they can prove the marriage is not purely for immigration benefits. After the marriage becomes official, then the immigrant spouse may apply for permanent resident status.

What if the marriage doesn’t happen?

If the marriage doesn’t occur in the 90-day window required, the visa will expire. This means the immigrant will have to leave the country. There is no way to extend the visa. Failure to voluntarily depart could result in deportation, meaning the individual’s eligibility for immigration in the future may be affected.

Get help

Michigan residents who have a fiancé(e) they want to bring into the country so they can begin their lives together may wish to seek assistance getting the proper visa and approval. The immigration system is not easy to work through, and any error, no matter how small, on one’s application can result in it being denied. Legal counsel can help make sure everything is in order, the application is submitted without error, and may be able to help one fight back should the visa petition be rejected for any reason.