July 9, 2021

Is it time your parent became a lawful permanent resident?

Michigan is home to numerous individuals who have come to the United States from other countries. Though you may have lived in the United States for many years and went through the process of becoming a naturalized citizen, you may still miss members of your immediate family who live in your country of origin. Eventually, circumstances may have led you to believe that your parent would be better off living with you in the U.S. rather than in his or her home country.

Perhaps your parent had fallen ill or was simply getting older and needing more assistance with daily tasks. Though moving him or her to a new country may have seemed like a daunting task at the time, you were able to legally bring your parent into the country. Now, you believe that your parent would benefit from becoming a lawful permanent resident.

What do you need to do?

Seeking an adjustment of immigration status can be a complicated endeavor under any circumstances. However, you may have the ability to use your citizenship status to help your parent on his or her journey to permanent residency. As long as you are 21 years old or older, you could file the appropriate petition for your parent, who is an immediate relative, to become a lawful permanent resident. The form you would need to file is Form I-130, which is the Petition for Alien Relative.

The process does not stop there. Your parent will also need to take steps to apply for an adjustment of status and will need to file Form I-485, which is Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services will likely also require other evidence to support the petition and application, such as proof of your relationship and more. The USCIS may also require interviews and other steps during the application process.

Doing it right

You likely already know how difficult it is to handle immigration issues, and you probably know that any mistake or missing information could quickly derail an application for adjustment of status. Fortunately, you do not have to try to help your parent navigate this process on your own. Gaining information from local legal resources and reaching out for support when needed may better ensure that you and your parent are able to complete the process properly and as smoothly as possible.