June 10, 2020

Here on a work visa and recently lost your job?

Right now, so many things about the future seem uncertain. This is particularly true for immigrants living in Michigan who are here on work visas. So many have lost their jobs in the last few months, which means they may be forced to go back to their native countries. If you find yourself in this position, you may be wondering if there is anything you can do so that you can remain in the United States.

There are several types of work visas available, and each has its own use requirements. Generally speaking, if you come to the United States on a visa that allows you to work in a specific field, you have to maintain a job in that field in order to stay in the country. So, if you lost your job, you cannot just go out and get a new job anywhere that may be available. You must find employment that fits your visa requirements.

After losing your job, the grace period offered you to obtain new employment only lasts for so long — typically 60 days. If you fail to find appropriate work in that time, your visa will expire, and you will have to leave the country. If you remain in the country after your visa expires, it will affect your ability to live in the United States in the future.

Given the current state of the economy, finding the right type of employment for your visa may seem hopeless. As circumstances of every immigrant residing in Michigan are different, there may be other ways for you to remain in the country. An experienced immigration attorney can review the details of your case and go over any options that may be available to you. If it turns out that maintaining a work visa is the only way you can continue to reside in the United States, legal counsel may be able to assist you in seeking to extend the grace period for finding a job in your field of work. To learn more about visas and how an immigration attorney can assist you with your visa concerns, please take a moment and visit our firm’s website.