Sponsoring Grandchildren For U.S. Citizenship

Can a grandparent sponsor a grandchild for U.S. citizenship? Yes, under certain circumstances.

If the child's parent is a U.S. citizen but did not live in the U.S. for a long enough time before the child's birth, the grandchild may obtain citizenship through the grandparent if:

  • The child is under the age of 18
  • The child has at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen by birth or naturalization (including an adoptive parent)
  • The U.S. citizen parent has custody of the child
  • The grandparent lived in the U.S. for at least five years (at least two of which were after the age of 14)

In order to gain citizenship, the child must lawfully enter the United States and maintain lawful status until the application is approved.

At Stacer, PLC, we handle a broad range of immigration law matters for clients in Plymouth and throughout Michigan. We can advise you on all aspects of grandparent sponsorship, including the N-600K application for citizenship and necessary visas and other immigration documents.

Attorney Andrew Stacer takes great pride in helping families come together through immigration law. Whether you are seeking to sponsor your grandchild for U.S. citizenship or have any other immigration law need, our law firm is here to serve you.

Talk To An Experienced Lawyer About Your Immigration Law Needs

To learn more about your rights as a grandparent in regard to immigration law, please contact our law offices by telephone at 734-453-7878 or 888-814-5758 or online by filling out a brief contact form.